I was looking through the schedule for the Youth Specialties National Youth Workers Convention in Nashville this weekend trying to get a head start on what workshops I want to attend, but man, it is so hard! There are so many good workshops I wanna hear, but unfortunately I am not omnipresence and am limited to one workshop at a time. Grrr… So, after a long drawn-out process, I think this is the schedule I’m gonna follow for the weekend.
Friday, November 18
1:00 PM to 3:30 PM — General session (Mark Yaconelli, David Crowder Band, Ted and Lee , Jars of Clay , Skit Guys)
4:00 PM to 5:30 PM — New Generations, New Questions: Issues We Need to Address that Our Emerging Culture is Asking (Dan Kimball)
- Most teenagers are no longer being raised in a Judeo-Christian culture, but a post-Christian one. This means we need to be thinking through the prominent emerging questions and issues that teenagers have today in regards to spirituality, Christianity, and the church. We will look at the hard questions young people are asking and other criticisms teenagers and young adults have today about the church and Christianity.
6:30 PM to 7:00 PM — Debriefing and discussion with Redeemer leaders
7:30 PM to 10:00 PM — General session (Doug Fields, David Crowder Band)
10:15 PM to 11:30 PM — Hawk Nelson , Thousand Foot Krutch
Saturday, November 19
8:00 AM to 9:30 AM — It All Ads Up: How Marketing and Madison Avenue are Shaping Youth Culture (Walt Mueller)
- This generation of students is the most marketing-targeted generation of all time. Consequently, marketers know them, pursue them, and reach them with advertising efforts that are shaping students’ worldviews and behaviors in significant ways. It’s not a stretch to say that marketing is raising the kids. In this session, Walt will examine the role marketing plays in student development, the messages and methods of advertising to teens, how marketing is shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors, and what we can do to help our kids manage marketing’s influence “Christianly” rather than letting marketing’s influence manage them.
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM — General session (Doug Pagitt, David Crowder Band)
2:00 PM to 4:30 PM — Youth Worker as Spiritual Guide: Nurturing a Presence-Centered Youth Ministry (Mike King)
- Most youth walk away from the church when they reach late adolescence and donâ€™t come back. Are they walking away from Jesus, or from the way we do church and youth ministry? Youth ministry must move away from behavioral modification and focus on creating environments for spiritual transformation. This must happen first with youth workers who live out of the wholeness of their souls, who nurture a personal spirituality that makes Jesus Christ central. This seminar will look at spiritual formation, Rule of Life, creating sacred space for encountering God, and exposing your youth to contemplative and transcendent practices without freaking them out.
6:00 PM to 7:00 PM — Debriefing and discussion with Redeemer leaders
7:30 PM to 9:45 PM — General session (David Nasser, David Crowder Band, tobyMac , The Skit Guys)
10:00 PM to 11:30 PM — Comedy Club (Daren Streblow , Taylor Mason , Joby Saad , Thor Ramsey)
Sunday, November 20
8:00 AM to 9:30 AM — The Marks of a Passionate Youth Ministry (Brock Morgan)
- They’re passionate about their music, fanatical about their team, fired up about the latest video game and nuts about their friends. Intensity and adolescence seem to go hand in hand. But does any of that energy and enthusiasm find its way into their youth group world? If youâ€™re tired of the blank stares and one syllable grunts that mark your interaction with students youâ€™ll want to discover what makes for a passionate youth group. This seminar will identify the marks of youth groups that make a difference. Based on recent research and the experiences of youth groups across the country weâ€™ll find ways to make your youth group something kids just wonâ€™t want to miss.
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM — General session (Alise Barrymore, Chris Tomlin, The Skit Guys)
2:00 PM to 3:30 PM — Cultivating Student Leaders (Doug Fields)
- One element of a healthy youth ministry is the presence of students who minister. Student leadership isnâ€™t about electing the cute, fun, and popular; rather, itâ€™s about finding students who have the right heart, believing in them, and then empowering them to serve God in their unique ways. In this session, weâ€™ll talk about finding those students, developing them, and creating a leadership team of students who will shape your ministry.
4:00 PM to 5:45 PM — General session (Louie Giglio, Chris Tomlin Band, Bob Stromberg)
7:00 PM to 8:00 PM — Debriefing and discussion with Redeemer leaders
8:30 PM to 10:00 PM — Special concert (Third Day , Starfield)
10:15 PM to 12:00 AM — Late Night Live (Bob Stromberg , The Skit Guys , Lost And Found)
Posted on November 15, 2005