Each month our church comes together for an evening of worship that’s intended to be open, flexible, experiential and interactive. It’s always a great time!
Last week everyone was given a little rock as they entered the room and we used it for a couple symbolism things throughout the evening. I led the prayer time using the following meditative prayer outline I put together below. Feel free to use it with your groups as a way of breaking the prayer ruts we often fall into.
The rock can represent a number of different things. Let’s prayerfully reflect on it together.
If you want to move to another place in the room for more privacy, kneel, feel free.
- Feel the stone. Study it. How is it unique from every other rock in existence? (pause for prayer/reflection)
- How are you unique from every other person created by God? (pause for prayer/reflection)
- READ ALOUD: Psalm 139:1-18, 23-24
Rocks can also causes us to slip and stumble, to loose traction in our walk.
- What’s causing you to slip and stumble in your walk with the Lord? What are you tripping over? Pray about it. (pause for prayer/reflection)
- READ ALOUD: 1 Corinthians 10:6-13
The rock can also represent our burdens, the things that weigh us down.
- As you look and feel your rock, what burdens does it represent in your life? (pause for prayer/reflection)
- How is God using that burden to teach you something? (pause for prayer/reflection)
- READ ALOUD: 1 Peter 5:3; Matthew 11:28-30
- Place your stone on the floor in front of you, symbolizing that you’ve laid it at the feet of Jesus.
But most importantly, the rock represents Jesus. He’s the only one who can help us, grant us victory, and be the solid, firm foundation that our lives were intended to have in Him.
- In what areas of your life do you need Jesus to be your rock? (pause for prayer/reflection)
- READ ALOUD: Psalm 27:1-8, 13-14; Psalm 28:1-2, 6-9; Psalm 18:1-3
- Think about what it means for Jesus to be “the rock of your salvation.” Praise Him, thank Him, and worship Him for that in prayer.
- Pick your rock up again and hold on to it as a reminder of Jesus being your rock.
Join us at 2:00 PM EST this afternoon in our LIVE YM Talk. Our featured guest is Rob Kashow who will talk with us about teaching theology in youth ministry. See the LIVE YM Talk page for details on how to join the call and/or the live chat.
Posted on June 18, 2009